Thursday, May 1, 2008

Plants! Plants! Plants!

Well, two days ago I made a trip to Anderson's farm. Along with growing vegetables for their road side farm stand, and some farmer's markets......then grow plants to sell in the spring. Eight greenhouses filled with flower seedlings, herbs, vegetables, etc. Every year, Dad and I go there to pick up the plants that we don't grow by seed ourselves. This year, I did the flower run alone. Wow, what fun that was! First of all, it was raining.......which was quite nice, actually. It keep all the riff raff home......the wimps.....the psudo-gardeners. (The truth is, I was the ONLY NUT there.) Anyway, I digress....

There I was, lone in eight greenhouses (one at a time, of course!) lusting over all sorts of beautiful plants......trying to imagine how they would look full grown....deciding where to put each one of them. It was great fun. By the time I checked out, I had $47 worth of baby plants. Not bad, considering my budget was $50, birthday money from my brother.

The next day, I went back with Dad and we picked up the vegetable plants. Tomato plants, zucchini, lettuce, peppers (Mike, we got some hot ones for you!) etc. Now, you should see all the plants we have to babysit for a month....moving them into the den in the evening, and back outside in the morning.

Lots of those used to be planted by seed here, at Arthur's farm.......but he can't do that anymore, so we settle for letting "old man Anderson" do it! Of course, little does Arthur know, that's only the tip of the iceberg!! In a couple of weeks, I'll be making my trip down to The Farmer's Daughter for some of my more unusual plants, that can't be found around here.

Sometime in the next month, I also plan on going to a local herb farm, and stocking up on chives, dill, fennel, and lemon grass. I'm ashamed to say, I don't even use that much in cooking, I just love how they look in the garden.

Since we had rain for two days, I started on the brown quilt that I was supposed to make in the class that I missed. Hum..... Step #2 has me completely stumped, and I've had to work my way around it for a while. I actually made it up to Step #7 before I ran into the part where I actually need those pieces to continue. Fridays, at the quilt shop they have a $5.00 drop in fee, and for that you can work in their classroom and get help for the morning. I had planned on bringing my problem to them tomorrow, until I found out Mom has to have a MRI on her eyes at Our Lady of Fatima hospital tomorrow at 9:30a.m. So, I'll be following the van down to the hospital with her. If I'm not there, she would be completely confused and worried. Heck! Even with me there, a little trip like that will be enough to upset her for the day. Wish us luck!

I'll keep you all posted on that one. We're pretty sure these days, that her red eyelids have been caused somehow by her Macular Degeneration, but the MD just wants to be sure there's nothing else going on there. Her left eye is always worse than her right eye.

No comments: