Sunday, June 22, 2008

Nana's Birthday

Yesterday was Nana's 93rd birthday. Grampa and I got to Hebert's at 11a.m. bearing gifts. She was "surprised" that it was her special day, even though we had been talking about it every day for a month! "OH TODAY? I didn't know that! I'm not prepared! I have nothing nice to wear." So, I reminded her that yes, in fact, she was prepared, and we had already picked out fancy clothes for her to wear.......and then she was happy.

Doug and Allyson arrived bearing gifts and flowers about ten minutes later. Nana had a blast opening her presents. She did always love to get presents! (See Flickr pictures.) After opening presents, we all left to go to the restaurant. On the drive over, with Nana sitting in the front passenger seat, and Grampa sitting in the back seat......Nana asked "Where are we?", and , "Where are we going?" dozens of times. As we passed a rather large boat with a for sale sign on it, I asked her if she wanted to buy a boat. She responded by quickly saying, "Do you want to buy me a pond?" hahahaha. You go, girl!!!

Lunch was fun, even if the food wasn't great. Nana feasted on clam cakes, lobster roll and curly fries. She enjoyed every speck of it! For dessert she ordered the Willy Wonka Cake, and I ordered the Hot Fudge Sundae to share. The entire wait staff came out with a lit candle on her cake, singing happy birthday. They were clapping in unison, and Nana's eyes lit up like huge, silver dollars when she could not figure out what the commotion was! When we said, "Oh look......I think they're coming over here!"....She was just tickled!

On the way back to Hebert's she again asked dozens of times, "Where ARE we?"

Just that little trip OUTSIDE to a place other than Hebert's got her confused. However, we somehow managed to nip that in the bud before it turned into a crisis, like her last trip "out". When I told her, "We are where we are SUPPOSED to be.".......that made her happy and she settled down. I don't know why I used that particular word. I guess I thought I would try it, but I never expected it to work so well. It seemed to calm her and be just the right word at the time.

We got her settled in her blue chair, and once she started to fall asleep, we said good bye and left. Today she may or may not remember any of it. If not, we'll tell her all about it, and she will be delighted all over again! It's sort of like the movie Ground Hog Day!

It looks like it might rain today. I'm actually happy about that. It forces me to stay inside and work on some art projects that have been neglected while I spend most of my free time outside in the garden. If I finish my painting projects, I can unbury my sewing machine and get back to that!

No comments: