Saturday, September 6, 2008

Saturday in the Hospital

Hi Everyone. So, I'm glad I stopped at DD to pick up two muffins, because it seems Nana slept right through breakfast, which was awful, since she has not eaten solid food in days, and I'm sure she was hungry! Her room mate told me the person from the kitchen brought her tray.....put it on her table......and then 90 minutes later picked it up and brought it back to the kitchen. No one helped her, or even woke her up. She devoured the muffin, and a glass of water!

She was sitting in the chair, sleeping, when I got there at 10a.m. The first thing she said to me was, "Boy, am I glad to see YOU! I'm freezing!", and she was. I took care of that quickly enough. I got a heavy blanket from one of the nurses running past the door, and wrapped Nana in a cocoon! Right away she said, "Oh, that feels WONDERFUL!!!"

I cut and filed her fingernails, just to give us something to do. When lunch came, I helped her with everything thing that she wanted. She was starving and ate almost everything on her tray. After lunch, we put her back in bed and she slept like a baby for four hours, until it was time for her supper tray. She wasn't very hungry, and fell asleep holding her cup of pudding. Now, you KNOW she's sleepy, as my mother never misses dessert!!!

I left around 5p.m. and Doug must have been coming in the front door, while I was going out the back door, as he called me a few minutes later on my cell, and he was in there already.

Dr Cardouse came in to see her again today, and was pleased with her progress (big deal, her flu ran it's course! I swear, I think that's all it was! And they gave her every test in the world to rule out everything but.....) He said he would discharge her tomorrow. I told Grampa if he doesn't I'm kidnapping her from that hospital.

Fatima hospital is a small, old hospital with a huge nursing shortage problem. I can't tell you how many errors I saw, just in our room of two patients, in just one day! Isabella didn't get her Insulin this morning.......Nana missed a pill because she dropped it on the floor and the nurse never noticed......Isabella's IV came disconnected and it was dripping onto the floor for hours....Nana missed a meal.....etc...etc....etc......It was awful! Next time Nana needs to go to a hospital, you can be sure it won't be Fatima!!!!

And the sad thing is, it's not always the nurses' fault. I met a lot of wonderful, caring nurses who were just swamped with tasks that they could not finish because they had too many patients! It's sad.

No comments: