Saturday, January 19, 2008

Nervewracking two days

Well, things have settle down here a little bit. On Thursday we moved my Mother from an Assisted Living environment into a Nursing Home. It made her quite anxious, and confused for the day. Thursday night, I realized it had really upset me also, as I felt very nervous, anxious and worried for my Mom. Here she was, so small and frail now, in a building she didn't know, with a lot of strangers. It just kills me to drive away, and leave her there. Yesterday, when we went to visit, we were happy to see she had already started to settle in. I suppose, when you're "legally blind", you don't perceive the world the same way we do. For all she knows, she just moved down the hallway!
She's such an amazing patient. She smiles a lot, never complains and is tough. In some ways that's good, as the staff always immediately falls in love with her, but in other ways it's not good. If she needed something, I don't think she would ask for it. Hum.....I'll have to alert the staff about that. Anyway, she was in a good mood when Dad and I got there yesterday, which immediately made us feel better. The place is beautiful, and she has a wonderful room. Her room mate is a 98 yr. old woman with exactly the same medical problems as Mom...... Macular degeneration and hearing loss. Both are sadly isolating, and restricts their activity. Yesterday, when we got there, Mom was in the Activities room where they were all playing Bingo. Only problem was, Mom coudln't see any of the letters or numbers on her card. They also had special cards that didn't require chips, and Mom couldn't figure that out. (Little hidden, red, slidy things.......cool idea.)
The ride over and back isn't bad. It's 15 miles....mostly through the country side....a brief visit to RT 295, and then back onto woodsy roads. It could be bad if it was snowing badly, as it looks like places not too many snow plows travel.....but I'm not going to worry about that until I have to. If they predict snow, we'll take my Honda CRV, which can get through ANYTHING!
Well, that's the update for today. Congratulations Mike on your new promotion! Liz, hope all is going well in school.
Maureen, are you getting lonesome down there in Florida without your father?
Kate, you and Mina will be busy all week!
Time to go.







No comments: